Monday 16 May 2011

Homebrew project: Marynka Pale Ale


It's been a while since I brewed a proper session beer. Every last drop of my 1750's Porter was needed to fill Elizabeth and supplies of my P45 Brown ale (my last brew at Daleside brewery) are dwindling. So after getting the approval my kit was deployed for my first out of hours brew at Mordue brewery.



This one wasn't over planned though, just a quick brew to see how the Panda & Frog kit would handle in it's new surroundings. The grist was composed of mostly left overs (pale malt with a touch of crystal). For the hops the experimental option of Marynka came about simply because I'd picked them almost randomly months ago and never got round to using them. I have never brewed with Polish hops before and they do smell rather nice with a sort of  spicy, herbal, slightly grassy like character about them. I decided to use them for both bittering and then late in the boil in combination with Fuggles and Cascade hops. With an original gravity of 1044 it should be a fairly standard brew that is so far fermenting steadily. I'm looking forward to the results, and the steady flow of pints coming from the kitchen in the coming weeks.

8 comments:

ChrisM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrisM said...

Great stuff, Rob.

I hear you'll be lone/head brewer at Mordue as of Monday? Good luck!

Rob said...

Thanks Chris, will need it. But then again it depends how busy it gets.

pdtnc said...

A very domineering pose :D

Ed said...

Have you got your own autograph yet?

Rob said...

Not quite Ed. Im not entirely sure if Im head or just sole brewer.

Ed said...

Surely like the last surviving Catholic will be the pope, if you're the sole brewer you have to be the head brewer?

Rob said...

Mmm. You have a point Ed.